Re: HAMMER cleanup

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi,
:
:What if your box is running in a production env where it is doing IO
:24/7 365days a year. Is stopping at any time to do a load of IO really
:that acceptable ?
:
:Regards,
:Edward.

    Well, it wouldn't be stopping.  And yes, it is.  Think of it as
    deferred maintainance.  You are controlling when to do it rather then
    building it into each operation.

    Ultimately we want to have an I/O scheduler to have even more control.
    Right now the hammer utility can be told to run for only a specific
    amount of time, for example like 5 minutes a night, and that seems
    to be an ample control.