Re: NUMA remote memory access cost

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:40:12 +0100

Michael Neumann wrote:
Today I had a discussion about SMP and NUMA with my students and I
realized that Opertons really are NUMA as memory accesses are
non-uniform (I was under the impression that SMP not necessarily imply
UMA and that SMP/NUMA are othogonal aspects).

Anyone knows the cost (in case of an Opteron) of a remote memory access
vs. a local memory access?

Last OSDI there was a paper exploring explicit (userland-driven) data partitioning of kernel structures, which includes these numbers and much more:

http://www.usenix.org/events/osdi08/tech/full_papers/boyd-wickizer/boyd_wickizer.pdf
http://www.usenix.org/events/osdi08/tech/full_papers/boyd-wickizer/boyd-wickizer_html/index.html

cheers
  simon

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /