Re: tmpfs port

From: ~Dion <tenzero@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:38:04 +0900

Dennis Melentyev wrote:
Hi Dion,

2009/2/6 ~Dion <tenzero@iinet.net.au>:
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in the tmpfs porting project. To determine
if it is a reasonable goal for me, I've been trying to do some reading on
the subject.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on
readings, either related to other ports of tmpfs or the
structure of the dragonfly kernel.

I have the text books, Design & Implementation of 4.4 BSD
and Design & Implementation of FreeBSD (5.2).

I have also pulled down GSOC submissions relating to the
NetBSD port of tmpfs and the NetBSD Internals documentation.

I am curious as to how much the dragonfly kernel is
different from the freeBSD kernel with respect to things
like virtual memory and vfs.

As far as I know, both VM and VFS layers are seriously different from FreeBSD. They should be much more consistent in DragonFly. Also, my knowledge comes only after lurking at this mailing list, so I can't tell you more details.

I suppose, you've already read articles at
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/. If not, it's definitely a
good choice to start with.

Good luck with your project

Thanks Dennis. I have been going through the developer docs.

If anyone can point to some good docs on DragonFly's Vm and VFS layers, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers.
D.