HEADS UP: License for Open Group test suites

From: Stathis Kamperis <ekamperi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 18:47:18 +0300

Greetings to everyone.

As you probably already know I'm working on POSIX conformance for this
year's Google summer of code. For this purpose I have contacted The
Open Group organization to get access to their test suites. I have
uploaded[1] their licenses so that others can review them and
highlight possible caveats.

Here are some thoughts so far:

1) The license prohibits the 'public disclosure of the results of any
use of the Test Suites ... without written consent'. Does that mean
that we can't upload the results of our daily runs and/or have diffs
to previous ? I plan to ask for a permission anyway.

2) The person who signs the agreement must *ensure* that anyone who
uses the test suites does so according to the terms of the license.
It's not that I don't trust my co-developers, but how could I possible
enforce or guarantee the conformance to the rules for some other
person ? I guess anyone who needs access to this software would have
to sign the license and send it on his/her own. Or perhaps we can get
a formal letter from TOG stating that we can share the test suites and
results among us.

3) On the positive side, we don't hold any responsibility for failure
to comply with the license terms due to causes beyond our control. So,
we can't be blamed if -say for instance- someone steals the media
where the tests are stored and distributes them (yeh, right:P).

I plan to ask for further clarifications regarding the aforementioned
plus any spots you think that are important. The TOG representative I
speak with is very kind/nice by the way.

Best regards,
Stathis Kamperis

[1] http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~beket/