mounting per serial number or UUID (was: Re: AHCI driver update - initial PM support in.)

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:34:21 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    We also really, really need to start making the device mounts available
    by disk serial number as the probe ordering will change the 'daXXX'
    assigned to any given drive, but that's another issue.

I think we should have that in any case, and devfs should make this really easy.

However I think we should also consider mounting via UUID/labels instead of device node. What I mean is that file systems assign a label or UUID, and on mount they could scan all available block devices for (a) containing this type of file system and (b) having that UUID.

cheers
  simon

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low CHF NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /