Re: AHCI driver progress report - hot-swap PM and parallel probe!

From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:04:10 -0400

On 13/06/2009, Justin C. Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com> wrote:
> On Sat, June 13, 2009 8:13 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
>  >     How about a kernel environment variable that can be set from the
>  >     bootloader to disable the driver?
>  >
>  >     Then a person can upgrade and reboot and if they made a mistake
>  >     its a simple 'set' command at the loader prompt and they're up and
>  >     running again.
>

> That'll work - perhaps default to the non-AHCI behavior for 2.4, and then
>  change at 2.6?  My pet issue here is having an upgrade scramble - or
>  appear to scramble - someone's machine.  Our upgrades have been remarkably
>  painless, and I'd hate to lose that pattern.

That's a bad idea.  The longer you wait, the greater will be the
install base that is using AHCI hardware with non-AHCI drivers, and
the more people will have problems with upgrades in the future.

As an example, the switchover in OpenBSD, back in the day, was done so
early that, from my understanding, practically noone has even had to
deal with the renaming issue.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade42.html#ahci

br,
cnst.su.