bad awk output on vkernel

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:57:39 +0900

Am I only one, or is anyone else seeing this problem too?
I don't remember when, but running `make buildworld' in vkernel stopped
working a few months ago.  It always fails while it's building gcc4.4
in _gcc44_tools.  I managed to narrow down to an awk script in gcc producing
inconsistent output, here's the script which can reproduce the behavior:

  list=`seq 0 20`
  while :; do
	  last=$(env - PATH=$PATH \
	  /usr/bin/awk -f $cc41contrib/gcc/opt-gather.awk \
	  $cc41contrib/gcc/c.opt \
	  $cc41contrib/gcc/common.opt \
	  md5=$(echo "$last" | /sbin/md5)
	  echo $md5
	  if [ -z "$first" ]; then
	  elif [ "$md5" != "$first_md5" ]; then
		  echo "$first" > first
		  echo "$last" > last

Things I've already tried include:
- running the same script on native DragonFly box (always constistent md5)
- running on an SMP and non-SMP VKERNEL (both reproduced the problem)
- md5 on the source tree is always consistent
- running this script for source tree in the local filesystem on vkernel,
  and on an NFS-exported on from vkernel host (both reproduced the problem)
- using awk program statically-linked on DragonFly host machine (NG)

I made sure that the vkernel and the world are in sync.  If you have any
other idea to try, please let me know.