Re: DoxyGen Style Kernel API reference.

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 19:35:13 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
I've looked at the web site and I do like the concept. I think we
could incorporate Doxygen elements in the kernel code as an
augmentation of our section 9 manual pages.
To be clear, I'm talking about this style of documentation:

     * Short descript.  Longer description ....
     * ...
     * @param arg1 description
     * ...
     * @return description

    I don't think we need to impose any major formalities, it can be
    as simple as a one-liner.  In otherwords, however little or much
    the programmer wants to throw in there would be fine, at least as
    long as it doesn't get past 15 lines or so :-).

    There are some practical issues, however.  When I built doxygen
    from pkgsrc it brought in a ridiculous number of packages, including

    I wonder... could we just write our own source code parser that is
    compatible with a subset of Doxygen formatting conventions and generate
    the HTML and MAN templates ourselves?  Without using the actual doxygen

I think it is okay to use the pkgsrc package on those systems where developers want to generate the documentation. Not everybody will need to generate it, not even all developers.

  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low CHF NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /