Re: kernel work week of 3-Feb-2010 HEADS UP

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:45:25 +0000

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:32:43 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>     At the same time SSDs (Solid state drives) have become powerful enough
>     that they could be used as a data cache for normal hard drives.

	I see two potential problems with this:

	SATA SSDs usually have fairly large erase blocks which once all the
blocks have been touched reduces write performance a lot (often it becomes
worse than hard disc write performance), PCI SSDs are apparently better in
this respect but I've yet to see any in the flesh.

	SSGs still have fairly low lifespans in terms of writes per cell,
it seems to me that using them as caches would tend to hit that limit
faster than most other uses.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun