Re: kernel work week of 3-Feb-2010 HEADS UP

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:18:11 -0800 (PST)

:Is the concern that people would be more inclined to remove an SSD than a
:regular drive by mistake, or that splitting off the log could lead to an
:"oops, I forgot that the log was separate" situation when changing out
:drives?  Or something else?
:
:It seems like an odd thing to worry about, to be honest.  If you can't
:trust users not to start removing important components from their
:systems...
:
:MAgnus

    Well, true enough.  I guess the real issue I have is that one
    is dedicated a piece of equipment to a really tiny piece of the
    filesystem.  Though I can't deny the utility of having a fast fsync().
    If the storage system is big enough then, sure.  If you're talking
    about going from one physical drive to two though it probably isn't
    worth the added complexity it just to get a fast fsync().

					<dillon@backplane.com>