Re: Adapt pkgsrc to create a package system with dependency independence

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:03:31 -0500

Christophe Romain wrote:
I think this would be a real benefit for pkgsrc users to drop all
outdated packaging ideas, and explore the nix way as an optional target.

Have you investigated pkgviews? I'm not sure of the current status, and it's not quite so computationally sophisticated from what I've read
about this nix business,
but the same idea of having multiple build types on the same
system is the goal.. and whatever the status is, there's "some stuff" that is already in tree ..

I think most of us just use chroots or jails or vkernels :)

IMHO The best place to discuss these kinds of things is the netbsd 'tech-pkg' list -

Although I am certainly not an authority on the subject,
due to the history of the 'dropped' dfports and our switch to pkgsrc,
and the difficulty even keeping up with OS patches for pkgsrc,
(where most things 'just work' out of the box thanks to the excellent work of the netbsd project and the various ports systems at large) I don't see the project switching package managers anytime soon..

That being said, feel free to try some stuff out - the worst thing
that can happen that you will learn some stuff and maybe spend some time doing it..