Re: pkgsrc and 2.8

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:31:32 -0700 (PDT)

:The idea shouldn't be to get everything into pkgsrc proper, but to get
:changes into upstreams proper. In fact I personally think that the ease
:of committing local patches into the pkgsrc/ports/etc trees is the main
:factor why BSD's are so marginal platforms in the eyes of the developers
:of third party software.
:
:Really, I mean it.
:
:--
:Hasso Tepper

    I disagree.  The reason why BSD's are marginal platforms relative to
    third party software is because third party software is developed for
    linux and not for the BSDs, and despite the configure-from-hell that they
    all use they still have a lot of linuxisms and make strange assumptions
    when the system isn't linux.

					<dillon@backplane.com>