Re: Recent concurrency improvements in the AHCI driver and CAM need testing

From: Matthias Rampke <matthias@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:47:19 +0200

Hello,

this breaks USB (daX) disks for me. After all daX disks are initialized, it hangs after:

da8 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da8: <WD Ext HDD 1021 2002> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-4 device
da8: Serial Number WMAVU2232228
da8: 40.000MB/s transfers
da8: 1430797MB (2930272256 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 182401C)

I usually have 3 separate USB disk-ish devices (2 USB HDDs, 1 built-in card reader); if they are all connected booting stops after the above messages for *all* of them have been issued.

If (and only if) only one of them is connected (resp. there is a card in the reader, but the disks are not connected) I can unstuck the system by disconnecting it. If all three are connected disconnecting all of them doesn't work and after disconnecting the first subsequent disconnects no longer provoke any dmesg reaction.

When I connect a device after boot, the system continues to work, but reading (e.g. with dd) from the device gets stuck immediately; dd is in the 'physst' state and at first does (according to top) consume some CPU% but that goes to zero within a few seconds. dd can not be killed. It gets unstuck by disconnecting the device and errors out:

dd: /dev/da8: Device not configured
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 239.753858 secs (0 bytes/sec)

except if there is a kill pending, in that case dd is killed after I pull the device.

A verbose dmesg is attached.

Regards,
Matthias