Re: usb wifi stick

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:50:35 +0000

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:58:20PM -0400, Joe Talbott wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:41:19PM +0000, Chris Turner wrote:
> > granted it is a 'g' device - but, this is relatively recent.

Moved the thread over to kernel@ as my response seems more
appropriate to that list..

> When we switched to the wifi stack ported from FreeBSD by Rui Paulo
> rum(4) and friends didn't get ported over.

grr. :)

> Part of the reason is that FreeBSD updated/replaced their USB stack
> which complicates porting.

yup.

> If anyone has the time and motivation to port a usb wifi driver I'd be
> more than willing to offer any help I can give.

perhaps as soon as I get this u3g driver stabalized I'll take a crack at it,
though I might instead take a crack at whatever built-in wifi on my eee 901
first (know a driver exists, but isn't ported).

Similarly - it looks like the ucom-related devices have diverged
somewhat - and if I'm not mistaken I need to do some 'special' error
handling in my u3g port that isn't really a part of the 'OO' shims
in our ucom device class - anyone up to date on the state of these related
drivers w/r/t FreeBSD care to share thoughts on future directions for those?

(e.g. I can hack in my fix - but maybe this is a good time to revamp -
 but, I don't want to break other devices ... so .. yeah.)

> There has been discussion of updating our USB stack but I'm not
> certain we want to just blindly port FreeBSD's stack.

What are peoples thoughts about this? seems to tie in..

Cheers,

- Chris