Re: Merry X-Mas and 3.0 release after the holidays - date not yet decided

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:11:48 +0100

On 12/26/2011 4:46 PM, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:31:42AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
>
> Won't it be a way too much? Given that there is the only source tree, the flat
> scheme that existed until now seems more adequate.
>
> Personally I like the OpenBSD's version numbering: every release increments
> the minor. After X.9 release the major gets updated, so it beomes X+1.0. This
> allows easy mnemonics and avoids such threads on the mailing list.

What's the difference between counting by increments of 1 and counting
in increments of 0.1 other than the latter is kind of weird?

What would the developer branch be with OpenBSD numbering?  0.0.5 ?

I'm not a fan of even/odd numbering for dev/release branches.  It was
something Linux did in the first half of its life and then abandoned.
Probably with good reason.  I'm not sure how "DragonFly 14" is less
"flat" than "DragonFly 3.0" though... (iow, I have no idea what "flat"
means in this context).

John