Re: Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:49:39 -0700

On 26 April 2013 04:25, Chris Turner <c.turner@199technologies.com> wrote:
> On 04/25/13 22:16, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>
>>      There's still one serious issue which is that Intel's initial
>>      foray into mobile is 32-bit.  We can't really EOL 32-bit as long
>>      as Intel and/or AMD are still producing 32-bit-only chips.

Didn't DragonFly stop supporting the original i386 prior to Intel
stopping the production, which was as late as 2007, according to
wikipedia? :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80386

> By mobile do you mean tablet?
>

>>      (Though even in the mobile space I expect things will move rapidly
>>      to 64-bit due to competition from ARM).
>

> There is also still the 'embedded servers' e.g. soekris where DF
> is quite applicable as an OS

Does anyone run DragonFly on a Soekris?

Why?

> (though latest soekris boxes are 64bit capable)

I don't recall that DragonFly is deemed reliable on machines with an
ancient amount of memory.  Based on user-reports on the mailing lists
alone, I, personally, wouldn't run DragonFly on a machine with less
than 512MB of RAM, so, as per Dillon, some earlier Atom-based netbooks
are indeed the most notable non-64bit devices that would,
unfortunately, be unsupported when the i386 support goes away.

C.