Re: Selection of roadmap for i386 platform End-of-Life (EOL)

From: Dan Cross <crossd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 17:36:35 -0400

--001a11c26180b4512d04dbaeea45

As a person who's looking for a new "home" in an open source operating
system and think that that may be DragonFly, please allow me to chime in
here by trying to articulate the things that I like about the project.  Of
course these are only my impressions and opinions.

I like that it's forward thinking; a bit of fresh air in a largely stagnant
landscape.
I like that there seems to be a focus on innovation without sacrificing
simplicity.
I like that it does not show the "Me, too!" obsessions of the "Yet Another
Linux" Distributions.
I like that the community seems more accessible and less ego-driven than
other projects.
I particularly like that it seems to be more focused on the hacker rather
than any particular application domain.

I personally don't care for the idea of focusing on one architecture,
because having more is often a forcing function to keep the code tidy and
portable and avoid unnecessary hardware dependencies.  But if that's the
case, make it multiple actively supported and developed
architectures; maybe some sort of ARM or MIPS based port would be both good
and very practical?  Putting a lot of effort into i386 for more than a few
more years is going to be a dead end and feels like misplacing resources
that could be better applied towards pushing the system forward in other
dimensions.  So I'm for the idea of setting a sunset date for i386, for
what it's worth (which is approximately nothing :-)).

        - Dan C.

--001a11c26180b4512d04dbaeea45

n an open source operating system and think that that may be DragonFly, ple=
ase allow me to chime in here by trying to articulate the things that I lik=
e about the project. =C2=A0Of course these are only my impressions and opin=
ions.<div>

ir in a largely stagnant landscape.</div><div>I like that there seems to be=
 a focus on innovation without sacrificing simplicity.</div><div>I like tha=
t it does not show the &quot;Me, too!&quot; obsessions of the &quot;Yet Ano=
ther Linux&quot; Distributions.</div>

an other projects.</div><div>I particularly like that it seems to be more f=
ocused on the hacker rather than any particular application domain.<br>

 one architecture, because having more is often a forcing function to keep =
the code tidy and portable and avoid unnecessary hardware dependencies. =C2=
=A0But if that&#39;s the case, make it multiple actively supported and deve=
loped architectures;=C2=A0maybe some sort of ARM or MIPS based port would b=
e both good and very practical? =C2=A0Putting a lot of effort into i386 for=
 more than a few more years is going to be a dead end and feels like mispla=
cing resources that could be better applied towards pushing the system forw=
ard in other dimensions. =C2=A0So I&#39;m for the idea of setting a sunset =
date for i386, for what it&#39;s worth (which is approximately nothing :-))=
.</div>

--001a11c26180b4512d04dbaeea45--