Re: ANSI-fy of ranlib, ruptime and rdist [patches]

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:11:36 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Yes, but the problem is that 99.9% of the time the cases where one
    isn't checking the return value are, in fact, not bugs.

Agreed with all of your reasoning and anecdotes except this 99.9% figure. It might approach that here (DF) because there are a lot of eyeballs watching each commit and the calibre of developers is unusually high.

If I had to haphazard a guess, I'd say it's closer to 80% in our shop. Sadly, there are people who will commit code simply because it compiles and time/budget constraints limit the number of eyeballs watching each commit. (And, joy, I get to help unspaghettify their code...)

Dave