Re: Test Bugzilla bug tracker

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:22:23 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:28:50PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I'm not a big fan of bugzilla but I'll take a 'we will see' attitude
>     towards the attempt.  One thing I don't want to lose is the informal
>     bug reports on the bugs@ list.  If we do wind up with an official bug
>     tracker then a bug that shows up on the bugs@ list which cannot be
>     dealt with immediately should probably just be entered by a developer
>     rather then burdening the poor user reporting the bug with the task.
>     Not having every dick and jane entering bugs into bugzilla will keep
>     the bugs database more relevant.

In fact, I propose even moving this a step ahead and make the issue tracker
an close, but public tool. E.g. using it to keep track of bugs and patches
is fine, but the typical problem of most issue trackers out there is the
correct priorisation of each entry.

I don't know if there are any issue trackers out there which support
(a) adminstrative handling of entries like opening/closing of entries
    for a limit set of people
(b) additions of comments / annotations to existing reports for all
    registered users

Joerg