Re: cvs legacy options

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:02:43 +0200

On 18.10.2004, at 19:44, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>> Fetch it at <http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/cvs-options.h>
:> uhm... netbsd uses CVSROOT/config. better patch up soon
:okay. the new one should do it well
I'm confused re: the netbsd mention. Don't we support CVSROOT/config ?
So we shouldn't have to patch up for that, right?

Sorry if I added some confusion: NetBSD uses the file CVSROOT/config, but therein uses the CVSROOT/options style (tag=).

As for legacy operation. I'm not sure that it is a good idea to add
support back in for legacy repositories. If netbsd is already using the
new form it might be better to stick with the new form which will put
pressure on the other projects to update their CVS subsystems. What
FreeBSD did was a hack... a very good hack, but a hack nonetheless. When
the CVS people adopted the feature they decided to implement it
differently. We should probably stick with the official implementation
and get/pressure the people running the hack to restandardize on the
official implementation.

It's true that the best solution would be that all projects would use the "official" style, but I don't think this will happen any time soon. So we got the choice: try to get the other projects to at least support the official way, or, as long as those big repos don't do it the official style yet, accept this fact and add a legacy mode.

cheers
  simon

--
/"\