Re: src/sbin string functions cleanup

To: Andre Nathan <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:30:34 +0100

Andre Nathan wrote:

The paches at [1] substitute all calls to strcpy, strcat, strncpy,
strncat and sprintf by the safer strlcpy, strlcat and snprintf for
everything under src/sbin.

Andre,

I've merged your patches with my previous void cast removal. The new patch is here:

http://yoyodyne.ath.cx/tmp/strl.patch

Two minor issues, though:

1) Due to Joerg's previous work on ldconfig there was nothing left to patch there. :)

2) I've removed two additional lines of code from ping/ping.c:

snamebuf[sizeof(snamebuf) - 1] = '\0';

and

hnamebuf[sizeof(hnamebuf) - 1] = '\0';

According to strlcpy's manpage it guarantees to NUL-terminate the result so those two lines seemed no longer necessary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll be away for the next two days and will start committing this on Thursday.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx