Re: Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:35:14 +0200

On Saturday 09 October 2004 15:02, Mark Cullen wrote:

> I guess what I am really asking is, is the massive instability stuff fixed
> up now? If I update to CURRENT am I likely to get a system that is stable
> for atleast 3 days usage? I'll need to update to CURRENT in order to get
> ndis support I think, it didn't seem to be included in the 13th September
> release. Another thing I have heard is the whole lots of ports broken
> thing. I have quite alot of ports installed.. kde.. gnome... java etc etc
> etc... enough to be a rather nice general purpose desktop/light programmers
> system. Am I likely going to be able to achieve this with DF in it's
> current state? Is there anything that's going to catch me out or is it all
> still very much like using FreeBSD?

Matt is doing very intrusive VFS work at the moment, so wait with catching up
to HEAD until he says so. Regarding all your other concerns: DragonFlyBSD
userland is still very very much like FreeBSD4. Regarding ports, well yeah,
some are broken, but we have the dfports that provide overrides for the most
used software.

I'm using DragonFly as a workstation too, and I'm not missing out on
anything :)

Cheers,
Emiel
--
"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."