Re: Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:57:13 -0700 (PDT)

:Alright. I am guessing the performance difference between packages and
:source compiled stuff isn't all that noticable anyway? I've never really
:tried packages before (because ports are so easy to use :), but I always
:read how compiling from source is better because it's faster and optimised.

    No, you won't notice any difference.

:Regarding you other post, I'll give it 5 gigs and see how it goes. On 5.x I
:think it uses about 60 meg swap when doing a buildworld, the laptop has
:128meg of RAM.. so I think it should be "enough". I read a post of yours, I
:think, saying how 5.x relies on more L1/L2 cache and this laptop has a
:Celeron CPU in it, so maybe I would see some sort of performance improvement
:installing 4.x or DF on it anyway :-)
:
:Cheers!

    128MB of ram should work fine.  DragonFly ought to perform significantly
    better on a laptop (or any uniprocessor system) then FreeBSD-5.  The
    only real issue is, as always, driver support, but if it works with
    FreeBSD-5 then it will probably work with DragonFly.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>