Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:03:10 -0700 (PDT)

:I have two different answers! Matt says I can't really get rid of it,
:but can install someone elses, and that I should just reduce the timeout
:if it's too long.
:I know during FreeBSD's install there's some option where you can
:install this menu, or a 'plain' one, or leave it alone. I usually
:installed this plain thing on machines that only had the one OS on it,
:so I didn't get the menu appear.
:Will the fdisk /mbr thing work? I've used it before to get rid of things
:like lilo, but I always thought it just reinstalled some Windows style
:boot bits so that it'll boot Windows?

    You can try all sorts of things, but I would recommend not trying to
    replace it.  If it works, stick with it.  If worse comes to worse you
    can just boot the ISO and use boot0cfg to put a working boot0 back on
    your HD.   But when playing with boot records there is always the
    possibility of blowing things up badly and losing the disk, so be careful.