Re: bootloader reboots

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:47:40 -0700 (PDT)

:I just tried to swap the disks around. The default boot loader F1 BSD
:thing just beeped at me, so I swapped back and installed GAG. This
:managed to get a little further. I couldn't really see what was written
:as it rebooted too quick, but it didn't get as far as the ASCII menu. It
:looked like it might have been the first two lines getting up to that
:menu, whatever they say.
:
:What would be the possible causes of this? Is it correctable somehow?
:--

    A beep usually means that boot0 cannot find a valid secondary boot
    sector in the slice.  This is often due to CHS vs LBA confusion.  I
    usually tell the BIOS to use LBA mode and use boot0cfg (when using
    the DragonFly boot0) to turn on packet mode.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>