RE: perl utf8 help

From: Andreas Hauser <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Oct 2004 02:43:26 -0000

smokinbert wrote @ Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:48:34 -0500:
> >Ya, this is a bug. The UTF-8 CTYPE is not installed and linked.
>
> >Please see for a patch:
> >http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2004-10/msg00094.html
>
> >Andy
>
> thank you for this patch! this helps me a bundle. but i think there still an
> error here. when i use world made with this patch, ls shows junk on the
> screen for files with forigne letters in them instead of ???. i think this
> is on the right track here you see, but it should show the right letters and
> not just some junk. it works if i do a ls -w, but just plain ls just shows
> junk.

You might want to apply the rest of the patches in:
http://ftp.fortunaty.net/DragonFly/inofficial/patches/libc-widechar/
(You already applied the mklocal.patch so don't apply that)

Also you need a terminal that is utf8 capable and a font
and then still the implementation is not complete.

I use rxvt-unicode:
http://ftp.fortunaty.net/DragonFly/inofficial/packages/All/rxvt-unicode-4.0_1.tgz
(if you want to compile it yourself with a world witjh all patches remove the
BROCKEN line in the Makefile)

If you could try the rest of the patches and report back, that would be cool.

What did happen with ls before any patches?
How can i repeat the problem case ?

Andy