Re: /usr/src/games

From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:54:44 +0100 CET

Oliver Fromme <olli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my (personal) opinion, it _should_ be part of any oper-
> ating system that calls itself "BSD".  It is a historical
> part of BSD.  /usr/games existed in 2.8BSD (1981) and
> possibly earlier (which I can't check right now, unfortu-
> nately).

Have you tried Doom 3 ?

> Apart from that, I don't think there is a good reason why
> it should be removed.  Space considerations don't seem to
> be a good reason, as the whole /usr/games directory is only
> 200 Kbytes, which is smaller than /bin/ls (on my FreeBSD 4
> machine here anyway).

Clutter. It's a major issue on any Unix-like system,
but Unix people in general seem to be immune to it.

Look what Apple had to do to save the user from it:
app bundles, library frameworks,
and generally locking down all Open/Save panels
so as not to reveal the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain.

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

> Just my 2 Eurocents.  ;-)

Your currency is no match for my 50 Swedish öre! ;)

/Jonas Sundström.              www.kirilla.com/.se