Re: Fwd: Does the DFly installer link /var and /tmp?

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:52:46 +0100

Op dinsdag 16 november 2004 05:22, schreef Jonathon McKitrick:
> I already tried not using a /home partition.  But does the installer make
> it easy to link /var and /tmp to the /usr partition as well?

Like Scott says, var and tmp will be in /. It would not make sense to have
them in /usr, since /usr is (AFAIK) mounted last, and should not contain /var
and /tmp (read the hier(7) manual page). Linking to there is a bad idea IMHO.

Just make sure you have ample space in /var. With disk space being really
cheap nowadays, you can easily partition to have your /var span at least a
gigabyte (depending on what you use the machine for). If you use your machine
as a database or mailserver for example, I would make /var even larger or
even dedicate a whole disk to it.

But that's just an opinion. The defaults the installer provides are good
enough in most cases (although I usually never use a /home partition since I
mount that from NFS).

Cheers,
Emiel
--
"Irrationality is the square root of all evil"
  -- Douglas Hofstadter