X weirdness

From: "M. Schatzl" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:30:39 +0100

Hi gents,

About a month ago I've had loads of problems with XFree86/Xorg.
Several people in IRC offered help and suggestions what to try.

The box got stuck nearly always while starting X. When it came through
the initialization occasionally (and ramdomly to me), switching VT's
froze the machine as well. The only one solution in both situtations
was a cold reboot.

Since I've used the TIMER_USE_1 option in the kernel, the problems
vanished. I don't know in what way this setting affects X but this way it works.
I've verified the problem hasn't disappeared meanwhile by loading a
GENERIC kernel yesterday and experiencing the same glitches as prior
to changing the timer option.

/Markus