Re: Getting tired of 5.3

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:52:10 -0800 (PST)

:...
:I updated to 5.3 from 4.10 and it was hell, all my ports broke because of
:/lib/libm.so.2 and the version bumped to libm.so.3, so I installed 5.3
:from scratch. I don't want to pass for the same on moving to DragonFly. Is
:this going to broke all the ports too if I move to DragonFly?
:
:On the other hand, I have trouble on compiling libgtop2 port on DF, but I
:can live without it, and X.org does not recognize the wheel on my mouse (I
:use the same XF86Config file in both FreeBSD and DF.
:
:Should I move on now? that's the big question.
:
:Thanks!

    Moving from 5.3 to DragonFly is going to break all your binaries.  5.x
    and 6.x use system calls that do not exist in 4.x or DragonFly as a
    matter of course.

    The ports system is going to be less broken in FreeBSD then in DragonFly,
    because we are only using it as a stop-gap until we find a better
    solution.  However, we have pretty good support for pkg_add -r.

    So, moving to DragonFly could be a chore for you.  If that is the
    direction you want to go, I'd recommend a from-scratch reinstall.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>