Re: Getting LATEST-Stable

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:13:14 +0100

On 15.12.2004, at 03:36, Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:
Bryan Berch wrote:
I have been trying to download the LATEST-Stable.iso.gz a couple of times from a few of the mirriors and with my slow dial-up the download stops due to the mirriors updating the iso. Takes me between 12 to 16 hours to get the file. I was wondering if this file is only updated once a day or how often and if only once a day is there a set time when it occurs so I could time start my download? Would like to get a newer iso, but will use my dfly-1.0A_REL.iso if all else fails on another machine.
Bryan

Hello Bryan. The LATEST-Stable.iso.gz is just a symlink to the latest ISO. This would explain why your download gets halted, since this symlink changes every 24 hours to a new image.

after all the file should still exist and get transferred. strange. but i got a better advice (hah!): use rsync.

a lot mirrors provide rsync access and this means you can get the images piecemeal. but then, of course, you need to use the complete path of the iso and not the latest symlink.

cheers
  simon

--
/"\