Re: Keyboard: Problems with German Umlauts: ?. ?, ? ...

From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:53:16 +0100 CET

Oliver Fromme <olli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > > The LANG and MM_CHARSET environment
>  > > variables  appear to be essential.
> No.
> PS:  As far as MM_CHARSET is concerned -- I've never set
> that variable.  It doesn't seem to be used by any of the
> locale functions.  Maybe it's a proprietary variable of
> some program which doesn't want to use the standard locale
> functions.

Having already posted I found out that MM_CHARSET
was not part of the solution, only LANG.

The FreeBSD Handbook recommends it though.

18.3.4 Setting Locale
Usually it is sufficient to export the value of the locale name as LANG
in the login shell. This could be done in the user's ~/.login_conf file
or in the startup file of the user's shell (~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/
. cshrc). There is no need to set the locale subsets such as LC_CTYPE,
LC_CTIME. Please refer to language-specific FreeBSD documentation for
more information. You should set the following two environment
variables in your configuration files:

LANG for POSIX® setlocale(3) family functions
MM_CHARSET for applications' MIME character set

The way I like it is to have ISO date/time (24:00), Swedish currency,
English as the overall language, and of course still be able to type
Swedish characters. I'll have to find out if LC_CTIME, etc, override or
are overridden by LANG / LC_ALL.

/Jonas Sundström.                www.kirilla.com