Re: Laptop and live cd

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:50:55 -0800 (PST)

:I was just given a Compaq Persario R3000 laptop.  I was going to dual
:boot it to learn windows, but no luck with the cd's.  With the stable cd
:from 12/13/2004 and also the 1.0A_REL it goes to the boot menu fine,
:after that any option tried on the menu you hear the cd drive wind down
:and the computer shuts off.  With the next to last option in the menu,
:can't remember the option number, I can get a prompt, but anything I
:have entered has also shutdown the computer.  The cd's all boot fine on
:all my other systems.  It has an Athlon XP-M 3000+ 1.6GHz.  Any info
:needed I will try to supply.  Any suggestions on getting past the boot menu?

    Try adjusting the BIOS settings for the CD drive, if it lets you.  e.g.
    the translation mode and other things.  If that doesn't work, see if
    a FreeBSD CD boots.