technical Makefile question

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 07:46:48 -0800

I thought I would attempt to make a port override for the new xorg
version, but I don't understand the first error message I found:

including in lib/Xau...
"Makefile", line 917: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 919: Missing dependency operator

The Makefile in question was newly generated by imake:

        -@if [ -d unshared ]; then \
                set -x; $(RM) -r unshared; else exit 0; fi
[the two lines below are 917 and 919]

all:: lib$(LIBNAME).a

So, can anyone give me a little context to go on, and maybe some idea
of how imake came up with a bad Makefile?

(This is on my gcc34 machine, BTW.)  Thanks!