Ripping CDs

From: Roland Hammerle <rjh@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:48:27 +0100

Hi there,

I tried to rip a CD using GNOME's sound juicer. After having to install not only sound juicer but also cdparanoia (before building gstreamer-plugins) it still didn't work.

After some testing I figured out that some devices did not have the proper permissions. It seems that at least the following devices have to be changed so that a normal user can rip CDs:

/dev/pass*
/dev/cd*
/dev/xpt*

I set them all to 666 (sound juicer opens them with RW flag set, so I think they must be writable as well even though they are just CDs).

What is the proper way of doing this, though? Are all devices needed and which permissions should they be set to?

Thanks for your advice,
Roland