Re: Slow first authentication

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:31:50 +0100

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
Hi all,

I've noticed that the very first time I ssh to my dfly box (after reboot), it takes about 5-7 seconds before I get the prompt. Every time after that is almost instantaneous. I don't think this happened under fbsd. Any ideas why?

Jonathon
--
The beaten path is for the beaten man.

I thought that most of the time this is a resolve issue, to be precise a reverse IP lookup of the machine you want to initiate the connection from.
So what does your /etc/hosts, /etc/resolve, dns server say _on_ the server say and does this match with reality?

--
mph