Re: OT: Thoughts on OpenSolaris

From: Scott Nasuta <tcslv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:39:00 -0800

Hello Glenn,

> I am curious what people here think about Sun's forthcoming
> OpenSolaris.  How will this affect the various BSDs, and Linux for that
> matter?

I was waiting for someone to bring this up..

OpenSolaris and Solaris 10 have gotten much Press lately (I think Sun
has a big part of that) and much debate already in some forums
(osnews.com). It doesn't seem like it is being accepted well from the
most OSS people mostly because of bitterness towards Sun itself plus
past prejudices with older version of Solaris.

I am just more curious with some benchmarks than anything else as I
wonder about the internals and goals of the popular OSS's (Linux, BSD,
Solaris) more than anything.

I just recently wiped my Solaris 10 b72 (felt too beta to me) install
for DragonFly stable on our school server to handle some pretty
intensive work. It is just about ready for online and I will let the
list know how it is working out. The install and buildworld, etc so
far have been flawless on our old HP Netserver 1000r (Lighttpd would
not run though after making the port, had to resort to Apache)

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:tcslv@xxxxxxx