Re: On Mono port

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:41:18 -0800 (PST)

:On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:32:29AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     I would tend towards using a 1MB or 2MB default threading stack size...
:>     whatever Linux is using.  The sad fact of the matter is that programmers
:>     don't pay much attention to stack size any more, even when writing
:>     threaded applications, so the default has to change along with the times.
:
:For single threaded applications, the stack size is a non-issue. But for
:multithreaded programs, you have to map the stack address space in advance,
:using 1MB by default can eat the Virtual Address Space in no time.
:
:Joerg

    Yes, but as a default I would say that just about every application out
    there already assumes that infinite threads are not available, whereas
    very few applications assume that they only have a 64KB stack.

    What we are doing is shifting the burden away from the vast majority of
    applications that we have to run today and shifting it towards the
    relatively few applications that need to create thousands of threads,
    which already probably change the default stack size anyway since they
    are also geared to linux which has a large stack size default.