Re: em driver - issue #2

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:16:35 -0800 (PST)

:
:In a message dated 2/7/05 2:28:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
:dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
:>:Getting back to my question about allocating memory for the kernel,
:>:there is no way currently to do this in dragonfly as you could with
:>:kern_vm_kmem_size before?
:>
:>   vm_kmem_size has to do with the fact that FreeBSD has two KVM maps,
:>    kernel_map and kvm_map.  vm_kmem_size does not change how much KVM
:>    the kernel has, it adjusts how much one map gets verses the other.
:>
: >   DragonFly only has one kernel map, so it doesn't need a vm_kmem_size
:>    sysctl.
:
:So how do you force memory to be available for the kernel rather than user
:space for applications? For example, I don't want mySQL or Squid to suck
:up all the system memory and then have it not be available for networking
:operations.

    I'm not sure what you mean.  The kernel is not swap-backed... when it
    needs memory for something, it has priority over a user program.  Certain
    dynamic resources, e.g. like mbufs, are limited to prevent memory
    starvation.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>