Re: interrupt routing problem?

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:20:30 +0100

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:05:08AM -0500, EM1897@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I like the direction you're going, but unfortunately you're apparently too
> far away for me to justify spending more of my company's time on it.
> I know its difficult to know, but how far away, in terms of months, do
> you estimate you are from having Dfly to a point where it can be
> considered as a performance rival to FreeBSD 4.11 for a commercial
> networking product?

(a) What exactly are you doing? Bridging? Forwarding? Firewalling?
(b) Which low-level protocols do you use? IPv4 / v6, TCP / UDP / ...
(c) UP or SMP?
(d) Are you willing to spend time testing changes for the impact
    on speed?

There are a lot of changes which need to be done to get the network
stack into a better shape and which can and will change the performance
characteristics. It is important for us to know how the system performs,
but we might not be able to change it in the short term, because that
can seriously hurt further development.

I don't want to target "faster than FreeBSD 4.11" in the short term,
because that's very difficult to achieve. FreeBSD 4 is pretty much
optimised for single CPU systems and SMP support is not free.
We can make certain parts faster by using better algorithms and in the long
term that should also compensate for the additional overhead introduced now.

Joerg