Re: Differences between AMD and Intel CPUs [was: Re: Dragonfly andHyperthreading....]

From: EM1897@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:01:26 -0500

In a message dated 3/10/2005 2:24:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, Mike Ditty <mditty@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> >Agree, so the challenge is to get some ubench'es of opteron 144/ athlon
>> >3200 (they are now about 229 EUR same of the 3.2 intel) and compare that
>> >with ubench'es of your 3.2 GHz machine.
>>
>> Alas, you don't "get" it and perhaps never will. You can't
>> even buy a PCI-X MB for that price, so even if the processor
>> was free you lose. And you don't need to "bench" it if your
>> MB has a bus thats 8x slower. Its not a usable product even if
>> your cpu is 3x faster.
>>
>> I see I'm wasting my time here if you think an opteron 144
>> is "comparable".  Thankfully my competitors think similarly.
>>

>I'm interested in hearing what boards you are referring to with these
>prices?  Such as brand or chipset, to help better understand where
>this large price disparity is coming from.
>
>Also, One thing to realize is that PCI express may be replacing much
>of the need for PCI-X, especially in the low end servers you are
>referring to, but of course that won't happen for a while still.
>
>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241853&affiliate=yahoo
>
>There is a board with PCI-X for $450, since I have no specs for the
>two boards you have priced there is no way to tell what other features
>you will want with the board so please give me more info so we can
>dicuss these differences.

There's not much point in "discussing" the differences. The
"difference" is that there are 9000 MBs for intel parts with
a PCI-X bus, and 8 for Operton. Its called supply and demand.

zipzoomfly appears to be down, but $450. is about par for
the course. Off the top of my head (there are sooo many
to choose from), the P8SCi is about $215. through
distribution. Probably $225. or so through one of the
Asian superstores.