Re: GENERIC - Raising the bar

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:14:34 +0800

Adrian Nida wrote:

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

Note that FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x do not include the 386 code in
the default GENERIC kernel.  The installer CD might be compiled
with "cpu I386_CPU" included, but the GENERIC kernel does not...

Just curious, here.

What would be the harm in having GENERIC.386, GENERIC.486, etc. and then programmatically setting up GENERIC as a symlink to the one closest matching the hardware?

Adrian

P.S. Garance, sorry for the duplication, I just switched to Thunder Bird, and am still adjusting.

(My) goal is to simply drop the work entailed to try to preserve compatibility
*at any point* with aging, and increasingly very rare, hardware.

The world has long-since moved on, and the *N*X'es in general
are carrying far too much legacy baggage - CPU's perhaps not even the
worst example....

Cleaning house - as has been going on with code safety and style -
can have a benefical 'ripple' effect...

Otherwise, we are like the government employee told to destroy obsolete files.
Who made a Xerox of each page as he went ...just in case.... ;-)

BIll