Re: GENERIC - Raising the bar

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:04:41 +0800

Hiten Pandya wrote:

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    I don't know if the code as it currently stands even works with the
    386.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    I personally do not see a point in supporting hardware that existed
    in the dark ages of the computing era. :-)

-Hiten

We are in full agreement w/r obsolete and scarce hardware...

- But computing's early days were anything BUT 'dark' ages...

Conjure up an image in your mind's eye of AN/FSQ-7 with
*thirty-thousand* vacuum tubes all alight at once...

- or scratchpad RAM in great panels of *decimal* (not binary)
 neon orange 'nixie' tubes.

Had to have light-tight doors so we could view the (world's first) CRT
displays....

3 million watts, and about the intelligence of a modern mobile phone..
and a very featureless low-end mobile phone, at that ..  ;-)

Be glad of progress - mankind can no longer afford that sort of electricity bill...
or trust the mercury in the main memory (electro-acoustic delay lines).

Bill

NNNN