Support for ATI hardware

From: gaml@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:11:06 +0100 (CET)

Seeing that my primary box seems to have fried yesterday (giving me the
excuse to get something new in the process), I was wondering how the state
of support for ATI graphics cards is these days? I know Nvidia is
generally preferred on OS OSes but alas, I can't find a cheap, fanless
dual head nVidia card anywhere (I couldn't care less for 3d accelleration,
but I hate fan noise) but plenty of ATI ones that fit the bill, cheap too.

I was also wondering about experiences with something like
? Any chances for it to work on DragonFly (or FreeBSD for that matter)?

Or should I got the VIA KT800 route (cheap and cheerful boards are
available these days) with something like:

Of course the other question is if I should get a proper mac (writing this
on a Mini) instead.