Re: ATA anomaly Question

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:50:58 +0800

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 11:32:50PM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:

As Matthew pointed out, the 'message' about not finding the cable (on a SATA port) is superfluous/gratuitous/irrelevant.

I was more thinking about the wrong side issue on normal PATA ports :)

Joerg

Well - I do plead guilty to cutting-off the endian-ness pin on the MB and reversing the cables sometimes when one drive is atop the MB and the other at a distance. But only 'til I can get back to the office and fab a custom cable. ;-)

But w/r the original post - only the Promise Fastrak S-150 TX2 Plus
even has a PATA connector, (ports 1 & 2 are SATA,  3 is PATA)
- and it was not in use.

One of the HPT's OTOH, was pure PATA. So we have two separate issues:

- driver reporting of non-80-pin cable when there IS one (approved by MB BIOS)

- driver reporting of non-80-pin cable when it is not germane (pure SATA).

My only concern was whether the driver forced a 'downshift' to PIO3, which is
*says* it does do, or utilized the higher-speed UDMA protocol and signalling
with ECC.

If that is not ascertainable from the source code, I will put a dual-trace
'scope on it and confirm from the waveforms.

Bill