Anyone got vmware2 going ?

From: Andrew Atrens <atrens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:34:06 -0500

I played with the port a bit, but it's a bit broken. The lwkt_xx() stuff
looks straightforward enough to fix but I'm less sure about the MAPPED_IOCTL
stuff. Also there was a comment in there from Matt from Oct/03 indicating
that it wasn't finished.

I'm interested in vmware2 because -

1. It was working well on *bsd for a few years.
2. I have a valid license to run it.
3. All the components to build it are still available on the net.
4. The dfly port might be close to being complete.

vmware3, while desirable, has the following drawbacks -

1. The tarball isn't available from VMWare anymore.
2. VMWare doesn't sell licenses for it anymore.

vmware4, though also desirable is still unstable on FreeBSD5/6, and
the port for it to my knowledge probably hasn't started.

I'm looking at VMWare2 because I'm interested in using -

http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html

which of course only runs on windows.

Anyone know if wine is useable these days ?

Andrew.