Re: S.M.A.R.T support?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:22:47 +0800

Thomas Edward Spanjaard wrote:

"Bill Hacker" <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4244c698$0$716$415eb37d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In either/both cases, they provide finer-grained control
of ATA device features, but do NOT provide for RAID
control as atacontrol does.

As RAID control under NetBSD is device-specific, they won't put it in such a generic utility. Unless you have a common RAID interface to all adapters, I guess we're better off with separate utilities.

FreeBSD's atacontrol is actually a 'different sort of animal' - not just RAID.
- but it seems well-suited to extending for SMART querying.

Try 'atacontrol list', then 'atacontrol cap x y ' where 'x' is controller
channel 0 onward and 'y' is device 0 onward.

Similar sort of info (shows SMART presence/absence, enabled/disabled,
but not (yet) the actual SMART report.

So it is 'talking' to the drive controller already anyway.

Bill