Re: SATA problems

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:35:32 +0800

Danial Thom wrote:

I have a Tyan K8SR opteron MB with a SIL 3114
SATA controller and I can't get it to work with
dragonflyBSD. When booting (and using an IDE disk
as the primary), I get

ad4: timeout waiting for interrupt

The disk works ok on another system with an
ICH5 controller in legacy mode. Any help would be

Do You Yahoo!?

I can get SiI 3114 (two tried) to work IF drives are attached to ad6 and ad7 and report as 'slave' channels,
not on ad4, ad5 'master' channels. (that 'master/slave' nomenclature is dodgy w/r SATA anyway).

OTOH, it throws periodic errors - not all of which are innocuous.

Doesn't work any better under FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE, despite being listed under ata(4) driver.
Promise Fastrak S150-TX2 Plus and High Point RocketRAID 1520 also not recognized or
unreliable (Maxtor & WDD HDD).

No more SATA here.  PATA for foolin' around on the cheap,
SCSI for speed/reliability needs, and all critical payin' customers.

Hacker's First Law fits. "Life is too short...etc."