Re: fetchmail + mutt + maildir => lost messages

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:14:41 -0700 (PDT)

:
:Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:32:09PM +0000, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
:>> This has probably nothing to do with DragonFly, but for the second
:>> time now I have lost all emails in my maildir-based inbox.
:>> Last time it happend was about 3 months ago, so this is nothing new.
:>> Both times I was using mutt (browsing/moving mails), while fetchmail
:>> was getting new mail, which is delivered using qmail-inject.
:>> Both times fsck did not show any problems.
:>> Is anyone else seeing this?
:>
:> Are you using soft updates and had a power outage?
:>
:
:Yes I'am using soft updates, but I had no power outage. The messages were
:just lost while mutt was running. The first time it happend, I thought I
:might have pressed some weird keys that caused mutt to delete the messages,
:but afterwards I have remapped all delete functions to only move the mail
:to a "deleted" folder. But now the messages are gone again and they are not
:in the "deleted" folder. The only explanation I can think of is that
:there is some subtlety with the maildir handling. I found something
:about maildir file name collisions at
:http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/qmail-bugs.html
:but I don't think it explains the loss of a whole bunch of messages.
:
:  Johannes

    maildir as in one message per file?  Or mbox-format with multiple messages
    per file ?

    If it is one message per file and you are losing bunches of them then it is
    indeed very odd.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>