Re: Release tag & "Re: HEADS UP! Upcoming work in HEAD and other events!"

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:46:13 -0700 (PDT)

:
:Hello!
:
:It is my understanding that work currently being done in HEAD will
:eventually be commited to the RELEASE tag.

    No, this will not happen.  The work being done on HEAD will eventually
    become a new (1.4) release, but it will not ever be backported to
    the 1.2.x series.

:Since we are tracking DragonFly RELEASE on one of our production servers
:I am concerned that at some time in the future I would need to recompile
:all the installed ports after a system upgrade - is this really the
:case? And if so, when can we expect this?

    I'm hoping not, but I can't make any guarentees.  The issue of
    libc4 compatibility is going to be related to various structural
    changes being made to system calls and being able to make it work
    is going to depend on whether the compatibility layer work can be
    safely backported to operate with libc4.

:Even though I KNOW this probably is a BAD idea - would a sym-link
:
:libc.so.4 -> libc.so.5
:
:fix the problem? This temporary measure would give us enough time to
:rebuild the ports in all jails as we cannot afford any downtime.
:
:Keep up the bood work!
:
:Jurij Kovacic